Minimum Standards to Learn Online
Email is the School's official means of communication with all SCPS students. All SCPS students are required to establish a UVa Gmail account, to which all official UVa correspondence will be sent. Students should use their UVa Gmail account to correspond with their instructors and SCPS staff.
Document File Formats
Since Microsoft Office is used extensively by the University and SCPS, it is recommended that students have Microsoft Office or Open Office loaded on their machines.
At a minimum, your laptop or desktop computer should have:
- Minimum Operating System
- Windows 8.1
- Mac OS X 10.10
- Minimum Processor Speed: Intel 4th Gen Core i5 or faster
- Minimum RAM: 8 GB
- Minimum Hard Disk Space: 100 GB of free hard disk space (after all programs are loaded), SSD recommended
- Networking Capability: Wireless networking (802.11g or n) and an Ethernet port
- Strongly Recommended Accessories:
- An Ethernet cable (Even if you will primarily use wireless, a wired connection is faster and more reliable for video-streaming, live online meetings and large file uploads and downloads.)
- A power surge protector
- CD/DVD drive and/or “thumb” or flash drive(s), plus a backup storage mechanism
Technical Support Contacts
BbCollaborate Support: www.tinyurl.com/uvabbc
At an absolute minimum, your high speed network connection should be rated at 768 kbps download and 384 kbps upload speeds. We recommend at least1 megabit download and upload speed connections.
Learn more about learning online.