BIS Concentration in Health Care Management
The concentration in health care management includes 24 credit hours comprised of six required health care management courses and two health care management electives. The concentration is designed to provide new educational and employment opportunities for adult learners seeking to complete their undergraduate degree with a liberal arts education and a professional focus in the health care field. Courses develop students’ foundational knowledge and skills in the key areas of health care systems and management.
Recommendations for admission into this concentration include: a) preferred GPA of 3.0 and b) one to two years of healthcare work experience.
Students in the health care management concentration are also required to take two ISLS courses and two 4000-level ISIN Special Topics in the Conduct of Inquiry (one in Humanities, and one in Social Sciences) courses.
The courses are online with two of the required courses having optional, “in-person” class on one Saturday in the fall. The courses are taken concurrently with students in the Bachelor of Professional Studies in Health Sciences Management (BPHM).
Required Health Care Management Courses
Elective Health Care Management Courses
- PSHM 3010 Introduction to Healthcare Management: Applying Concepts to Practice
- PSHM 3080 Ethical and Legal Decision-making in Health Care
- PSHM 4010 Management of Health Care Organizations
- PSHM 4300 Population Health: Programs, Policies & Epidemiology
- PSHM 4650 American Healthcare Challenges and Opportunities
- PSHM 4700 Economics and Finance of Health Care
Select two or three for a total of six credits. Electives vary by semester.
- PSHM 3050 Current Issues in Health Care (1 credit)
- PSHM 4050 Understanding Diversity in Health Care (2 credits)
- PSHM 3805 Health Information Systems and Applications
- PSHM 4200 Women’s Health Issues: Access, Treatment and Policy
- PSHM 4400 Introduction to Research in the Health Sciences
- PSHM 4600 Service Excellence in Health Care: Quality Improvement and Customer Service
- HR 4020 Human Resource Management
- HR 4030 Organizational Change and Development
- IT 3220 Strategic Business Value of Information Technology
Students in the health care management concentration are also required to take 24 credit hours of electives outside of the health care management courses. These vary by semester and may include courses in disciplines such as anthropology, art, art history, architectural history, classics, drama, economics, history, literature, music, philosophy, politics, religion, and sociology.