Please TAKE 3 minutes as you meet with your classes this term and indicate:
- How you will be Notified in an emergency.
- Where you would Evacuate.
- Where you would Shelter in Place.
Notifying your class:
- If you are signed up for UVA Alerts, you will receive notification via a SMS text message or e-mail. If you have not signed up, you can sign up now.
- Alertus Desktop Notification software has been installed on all classroom computers; if on, it will override any program you may be in and the alert will be displayed. We encourage you to download Alertus to your personal computer/laptop.
- If in an auditorium with an LED clock display, you will receive the alert over that device.
- If you have none of these notification tools, ask two persons (a primary and a back-up) who have UVA Alerts to monitor their messages and report an alert at once.
- Leave using the nearest exit or an alternate if nearest exit is not accessible.
- Never use an elevator.
- Take personal belongings (keys, purse, wallet, phone, etc.) but do not delay your exit in doing so.
- If applicable, follow procedures to secure hazardous materials or equipment before leaving.
- Once outside, go to the designated assembly area. Designated evacuation sites can be found at this web site.
- If unable to exit, move to a predetermined area of refuge.
Shelter in Place:
- Evaluate the situation and choose the most appropriate shelter location, for example:
- Severe weather/earthquake: lowest interior space away from windows.
- Violence: secure, enclosed space, behind solid objects and away from door.
- If applicable, follow procedures to secure hazardous materials or equipment before proceeding to predetermined shelter area.
- Move to shelter, and take personal items if space allows.
- Remain sheltered until instructed it is safe to leave.
- If safe to do so, monitor news sites for the latest information.