UVA SCPS School Logo

The quickest and easiest way to obtain grades at the University of Virginia is for the student to do so by accessing SIS (the Student Information System). Students have 24-hour access to their academic information through SIS. The student may also order an official transcript through the Office of the University Registrar (UREG).

Courses carrying a School of Continuing and Professional Studies subject area (mnemonic) use the following grading system:  A+, A, A-; B+, B, B-; C+, C, C-; D+, D, D-; F.  S (satisfactory) and U (unsatisfactory) are used for some course offerings. For noncredit courses, the grade notation is N (no credit). Students who audit courses receive the designation AU (audit). The symbol W is used when a student officially drops a course before its completion or if the student withdraws from an academic program of the University.

When the School of Continuing and Professional Studies offers courses in collaboration with other schools of the University, these courses follow the grading system of their associated schools, as outlined in each school’s section of the Record.

Credit/No Credit Students enrolled in degree programs in other schools of the University of Virginia should consult with the appropriate school before selecting the credit/no credit (CR/NC) grading option. Students enrolled in certain courses for professional development may select the CR/NC option. Courses taken with this grading option may not be transferred into a degree program.

Grade Changes  No grade may be changed after it has been submitted to UREG (Office of the University Registrar) without the approval of the school’s dean or dean’s designee. The dean or designee may authorize a grade change only in accordance with the school’s grade appeal policy or when an instructor certifies that, because of an error in calculation or transcription, an incorrect grade has been submitted. Grades cannot be changed after a degree is conferred, or more than one semester following the end of the course, whichever comes first. The dean or his/her designee is also authorized to change incomplete or missing grades to an F or Withdrawal. Instructors must submit grade changes via the Student Information System (SIS).  Please also see Incomplete Grades section.

Incompletes A grade of incomplete (IN) should be a rare occurrence. If late in the term, circumstances arise beyond a student’s control and all other coursework is complete, the student and instructional faculty may negotiate an extension for submission of final coursework. Prior to the final class, the student must request an IN from the instructional faculty in writing; the instructional faculty must initiate the SCPS Request for a Grade of Incomplete Form and submit the signed form to the SCPS Registrar. The student must complete all course requirements and submit the completed work to the instructional faculty by the faculty’s imposed deadline, at which time the faculty replaces the IN with a letter grade. Typical extensions are for no more than 30 to 60 days beyond the final class meeting. If the work is not completed by the designated agreed upon deadline and a letter grade is not entered, the IN automatically defaults to an ‘F’. Only in extreme cases will this deadline be extended; extensions require approval of the SCPS Registrar or the Associate Dean for Student Services & Enrollment Management.  A degree or certificate will not be awarded while an Incomplete grade remains on the transcript. A student may not request an Incomplete in an attempt to raise his or her grade. An incomplete that is not removed by the assigned date will be converted to a grade of F (failure). Only the appropriate instructor may authorize removal of an Incomplete designation. Degree-seeking students who receive an IN (incomplete) or an F (failure) in any course cannot enroll in another course unless the Dean of the School of Continuing and Professional Studies grants permission.

Download the Request for a Grade of Incomplete