Active Duty Military & Veterans

Active Duty Military

A reduced tuition rate helps active duty military pursue a UVA education. A special tuition rate of $250 per credit hour applies to undergraduate students enrolled in online, undergraduate courses offered by SCPS.

Additional information for active duty military students can be found at


About 10 percent of the School’s students are veterans, and about 16 percent are either veterans, active duty military, or spouses or children of veterans. SCPS is committed to ensuring their access to quality degree and certificate programs, and services that help them succeed.

Veterans' Affairs Coordinator

The University of Virginia and the School of Continuing and Professional Studies are committed to supporting active duty service members, veterans, reservists, guardsmen, and dependents in pursuing their academic and professional goals by assisting them in maximizing the use of their educational benefits at the University.  We strive to be a military and veteran friendly university.

Please begin your journey with SCPS by reviewing our degrees, certificates, and courses. If you decide that SCPS is a fit with your educational goals, then connect with the University's Veterans' Affairs Coordinator to determine how to use your military and veteran benefits.  

You may also visit the University's web site devoted to Veterans Educational Benefits.  

Our Programs

Noncredit certificates in Certified Financial Planning and Public Relations are not covered by military benefits.

MyCAA Scholarships for Military Spouses

The MyCAA Scholarship Program awards up to $4,000 to military spouses who are seeking to enhance their professional development through the completion of certificate programs. Applicants may go online to register for an MyCAA account to access programs and scholarship details. Certificate programs may be viewed through the AI Portal.  

Please note that tuition rates for University of Virginia (UVA) School of Continuing and Professional Studies (SCPS) listed in AI Portal reflect in-state tuition rates. In order for military spouses to be eligible for in-state tuition rates, their active duty military spouse must meet qualifications for in-state tuition within the Commonwealth of Virginia, i.e., elect to establish Virginia domicile. All other elements of domicile must be fulfilled simultaneously; i.e. physical residence, demonstration of domiciliary intent and reflection of Virginia income taxes on his/her LES. See Virginia Status for details.

The following UVA SCPS online certificates are listed in AI Portal and on the MyCAA website

  • Project Management (Graduate)
  • Information Technology (Undergraduate)

Here is the navigation path to access UVA SCPS certificates on the MyCAA website:

  • Click on the Search programs box
  • Enter University of Virginia, certificate name;  click the option “certification or technical” and click search
  • Click on the name of the certificate and it will bring you to the UVA SCPS certificate web page

Frequently Asked Questions

Blue Background
Are active duty military/veteran educational benefits accepted?

Yes. We regularly work with active duty military members and veterans. For additional information on how to use your military/veteran benefits, please visit the University Registrar Veterans’ Educational Benefits. 

Does UVA have a discounted tuition rate for active duty military students?

Yes, under certain circumstances. UVA has approved a $250 per credit tuition rate for active duty military enrolled as undergraduate students in the School of Continuing & Professional Studies’ (SCPS) undergraduate online classes. This rate covers tuition only. Students are responsible for paying course fees unless they are using veterans’ educational benefits. Some veterans’ educational benefits will cover the cost of tuition and fees (if the student is eligible).

The $250 per credit tuition rate for active duty military does not apply to face-to-face classes.  Military dependents and veterans are not eligible for this rate.

Do you waive the application fee for active duty military/veterans?

Applicants who are active duty service members or veterans may qualify for an application fee waiver. See details.

Note: *Please note that UVA SCPS has waived application fees for certificate and bachelor completion programs through Fall 2022.

What documentation do I need to provide to be eligible for the discounted active duty military rate for online undergraduate classes?

You will need to provide proof of active duty in the form of Active Duty orders, official Proof of Service letter, or letter from your unit commander. Active duty military ID cards are NOT accepted. You may send copies of your documentation directly to: School of Continuing and Professional Studies, 104 Midmont Lane, PO Box 400764, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4764 Attn: Student Accounts.  You may also email a scanned copy of your documentation to [email protected]

Does the discounted active duty military tuition rate apply regardless of Virginia state domicile requirements?

Yes, the $250 per credit tuition rate applies to all active duty military members enrolled as undergraduate students in SCPS undergraduate online classes regardless of their state residency or home of record.

Can I enroll in the Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies (BIS) or Bachelor of Professional Studies in Health Sciences Management (BPHM) program full-time?

The BIS and BPHM are part-time undergraduate degree programs. 

If you wish to attend UVA as a full-time undergraduate student, you must apply through the UVA admissions process

How is my status certified to the Veterans Administration?

The University of Virginia Veterans’ Affairs Coordinator provides certification to the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (VA) based on the number of credit hours in which a student is enrolled each semester.  The VA considers full-time enrollment in standard terms to be 12 credit hours or more; enrollment in 12 credit hours or greater as ‘full-time’; 9 credit hours as ¾ time; and 6 credit hours or less as part-time during the academic year (fall and spring semesters).  The VA converts credit earned during summer, J-term, and other non-standard terms to equivalent credit hours.  Your rate of pursuit will be converted by the VA.  Contact the Veterans’ Affairs Coordinator regarding summer terms.

Can I transfer military credits into a program?

Student transcripts are evaluated on an individual basis by the staff in the program that the student is applying.  In general, credits that have been earned at an accredited institution are more likely to transfer.  Students need to submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended when applying.  Official digital transcripts may be sent by your institution or its clearinghouse to [email protected]. Official transcripts can also be sent directly to: School of Continuing and Professional Studies, Central Admissions, PO Box 401105, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4764.

I have a disability and may need assistance. Can I receive academic accommodations?

Yes, any student with a disability enrolled through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies who needs accommodation (e.g., in arrangements for seating, extended time for examinations, or note-taking, etc.), should  contact the Student Disability Access Center and provide them with appropriate medical or psychological documentation of his/her condition. Once accommodation approvals are provided, it is the student’s responsibility to follow up with the instructor about logistics and implementation of accommodations.

I have been deployed, what are my options?

If you would like to drop a class, students can use the self-service feature in the Student Information System (SIS) to drop a class.  However, if you are requesting a refund, you must also complete and submit the SCPS Drop/Refund Request Form.

Adds, Drops, Withdrawals, and Leaves of Absence

If you are using veterans’ benefits, you must report withdrawals, adds, and drops to the Veterans’ Affairs Coordinator.  Please notify the Veterans’ Affairs Coordinator if you feel your withdrawal is the result of mitigating circumstances.  Mitigating circumstances are circumstances beyond the student's control that prevent the student from continuing in school or that cause the student to reduce credits.

If you would like to take a leave of absence, for either a semester or a year, from a SCPS degree program, you must apply for such leave by completing the “Leaving the University” form in the SIS Student Center and communicating with the program director/advisor or SCPS School Registrar.  In the comment section, please add that your reason for the leave is deployment.

Leaves of Absence are only submitted for degree programs.  Certificate program students are not asked to complete this form, as they ‘come and go’ based on availability of required classes being offered and/or home/work life conflicts.  Certificate program students may use the “Leaving the University” form to indicate they no longer plan to pursue the certificate.   

If you are leaving the University on a permanent basis, you would request a withdrawal which would mean that you are permanently discontinuing your association with UVA.  Discontinued participation in a class does not constitute a withdrawal from the class or the program.

The following actions DO NOT indicate withdrawal from the University:

  • Ceasing to attend a class
  • Notifying the instructor
  • Notifying the employer/sponsoring agency
  • Dropping through self-service in the SIS after classes begin without also completing the SCPS Drop/Refund Request Form